(1917 – 1987)
The first attempt at establishing a national liturgical centre in England and Wales was undertaken by Fr Winstone.
Father (later Canon) Harold Winstone established the St Thomas More Centre for Pastoral Liturgy in Manor House, North London in 1969 and its work continued until 1995.
There is some biographical material on Canon Winstone,
“Anamnesis”, Music and Liturgy, Vol 10, No 2, (April) 1984, 21-23.
“Harold Winstone”, Music and Liturgy, Vol 13, No 4 (August) 1987,
“The project nearest Harold’s heart was the foundation of a pastoral liturgical centre. St Thomas More Centre for Pastoral Liturgy was opened by him at 7a Henry Road, Manor House, North London in 1969, under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Westminster. Harold’s hope was that this centre would be taken up as a national liturgical centre,” and it became that de facto as people from all over the country came to look to it for advice, speakers and publications. But the hierarchy of the time were not disposed to take up this offer, alleging, among other things, that the centre did not possess adequate facilities.
Thanks to Paul Moynihan
© James Leachman, O.S.B., 21 June 2010